Sunday, August 18, 2013

With What to Believe


I turn this around my finger, turning thoughts and hopes aside.
Looking past the finish - hoping for any reflection but mine.

They say it was all sickness, some addict's antics in shadows and alleys.
I was your numbing agent, the fire to light your blood.

If they're right... then what is my memory but tracks in your heart?
Some scar ill-thought out, and easily regretted.

I clutch the unbroken ring 'round my neck.
Where you once used to hold on to me.
With what to believe, the doubts whisper.
Was I no more than cocaine's blaze,
No more than an escape for your heart?
You, my beautiful angel -
But I some dark escape?

Sand scraping my ankles as I trace our names on the changing shoreline.
My hand grips your ring, and my heart longs for your healing.

Will I ever get to see, if your love for me was true?
Will there ever be a day - outside this detox,
Where our eyes can meet?
The ring reflects my eyes,
Unbroken, and unwritten.

No comments: