Sunday, August 11, 2013

A Farewell to a Place and the Open Road

It seems just yesterday that it all began here in this room. 
In me grew the seed of independence and hope -
That a future was something possible.
I looked in those eyes, the deep color spoke truths to me you never could.
I know those weren't lies.
The only lies were words and promises.
Still, for all that is royally fucked, 
We were both begun here.
Whatever we may say in days to come -
Our story was shaped here.

You've gone.
Where, I never bothered to find.
I told you I wouldn't.
I never left these walls which still echo the stories.
You were gone so fast to leave heart and mind behind, not realizing both will catch you wherever you go.
I wanted the same, but memory is not escape-able.
So I made peace with these walls.
Only now, I tell them, I too must go.

I won't come back here.
Where I first learned to make a home.
I won't return 
To the place where we first kissed.
I choose to leave,
Though I know I grew up in this very house.
A road and worlds call.
You will not hold me here or anywhere,
So I tell these floors, it's time that I go.

As I look last, I still see us.
Because memory is not out-run.

No comments: