Friday, January 4, 2008

Let my praise be real...

"Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe" ~Hebrews 12:28

I am not Catholic. Though, I have recited the Apostles' Creed: "I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy *catholic church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen". I know very little about the doctrines of Catholicism (I know very little about most things). I know that statues creep me out, Holy water is a bit too mysterious for me to understand, and Transubstantiation has divided many people over the centuries. I also know, that amidst crise of "Ave Maria!", of quotes from the Pope, and of general confusion on my part as to what I should and should not say in the service of a Catholic church... there is very much left to think about. A golden lampstand hanging above the head of the priest with a flame burning suspended by the Cross (symbolizing, if I am correct, the presence of God with us: Emmanuel), stained glass windows lined the walls some drawing pictures of the life of Jesus, others the lives of Saints. But more than anything... I'll take away the picture of an old man knealing before the cross and bowing his head asking God's forgiveness. Let it be real. Lord Jesus, let my prayers not be liturgical jargon spit back unto You, costing me nothing save a scant breath (but, if they be liturgical and in complete harmony with Scripture) let me pray and seek and ask and recite with the passion of a heart set ablaze with the intensity of grace in the face of deserved judgement! Ave Christus! What can I say? Father, let me not judge the hearts of others... but clean my heart! Let my praise, amidst my pining flesh, be real.

No comments: