Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What of this makes us who we are?

"Some times it's hard to tell what to keep and what to kill, what of this makes us who we are?" - Sarah Groves

Some times it's a heck of a lot easier to write poetry than to write honestly without artistic shroud to cover up those things which are inexplicably hidden from the sight of others by careful rhyme and word choice. And some times, it's just easier to say nothing at all. After all, silence is golden, right? Not really.
I've done my fair share of saying nothing. Either saying nothing, quite literally, or saying nothing even when I speak. Making nothing more than a steady stream of noise to fill a void.

But what do I keep, if you will, of the past? What is good, what is right, what should I hang on to? And what needs to die?

I'm just wondering. What of this makes me who I am?

No comments: