Friday, September 14, 2007

Wearing yourself.

I'm not one to carry emotion on my sleve, much less in plain view. However, interestingly I long to move away from the formal and casual into the personal and raw. We text in classes, and leave a message composed of numerical sequences that appear on a screen. I'll call just to hear a voice projected through a plastic box; I'll do anything just to hear some humanity, even talking into thin air. But I shut out the world. In place of two friends walking together; they're far apart. And while I'm as thankful as the next for mass communication. I've lost touch with communal communication. Where is the humanity in that? It's a scary thought to actually live like yourself -- at least it's harder to do this than to write a paragraph summarizing who I am. It's harder for me to tell you how I feel; harder than leaving a smiley face to indicate my emotion. I lose touch with community. Where's the humanity in that?

No comments: